My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Hueros, Spain

"Ye have been bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men."--I COR. vii. 23.

Friday, June 17, 2005

My dog is gone...

Roamer called me at Homer's last night and told me Hercule was bad. It was sudden, but after dinner he seemed to have trouble breathing. He has had fainting spells when he gets excited, usually after us getting home from being out of town. This time it was slower. He kept trying to stand, but would fall back down to the floor. As he got worse, Roamer and I realized he was going to die. Soon it became a panic to try and stop his distress. When we decided to move him to a pet Hospital and let him go quietly, we realized that Hercule would die in the car on the way there. He was always there and fighting, but his ability to breathe was failing. About 12:40am he breathed one last time. I had my hand on his chest feeling his heart struggle and then it slowed and stopped. It was very hard for Roamer and I, and hard for Hercule. We wrapped him up and put him in a box with his pillow and waited until the sun rose. We just got back from burying him in Roamer's parents backyard. It was hard to dig the hole, but even harder to walk in the door a few minutes ago and pick his dogfood dish up off the floor.

We are both exhausted and feel aches in our hearts. God knew what our little dog could handle and what he could not. God let us be friends with Hercule until the very week we decided to move. We were supposed to take Hercule and get his microchip today. I miss him.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dash said...

Sorry to hear about Hercule. He truly was a great dog and from the time I spent with him, I can tell he will be truly missed be many.

It's neat that you were both with him at the end.

11:20 PM  
Blogger shakedust said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Hercule was a cute and cool dog.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Achtung BB said...

I'm sorry about your loss. When I lost my ferret, Basil, I felt the same way. All we can do is enjoy the time we have with our pets

7:19 AM  
Blogger f o r r e s t said...

So sad! I am at a loss for words.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home