My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Hueros, Spain

"Ye have been bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men."--I COR. vii. 23.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Cadmium Yellow

This morning Ms.Roamer put on a "Cadmium Yellow" knit blouse and jeans and went to pick up her grandmother. They then came back to pick me up and go to see my father-in-law for lunch at the work/campus. I had put on a T-shirt from a friend's mother in China that was - yes - Cadmium Yellow. I learned the proper name for this color while in the car with my mom-in-law the painter. Cadmium is a heavy metal and is toxic. Many painters inhaled too much of it back in the day. Now it is safe, or so I thought. Ms.Roamer and I looked like "Cadmium Home Depot Employees" as we wandered the campus in our matching tops. I loved it... I have always tried to be a part of Roamer's team, and love being identified as a part of her by our linked arms and matching knitwear. My devotion to her choice of daily fashion has run afoul on occasion, when for instance, she runs back into our house before we pull out of the driveway like she left the stove on and stealthily changes her outfit so we won't look like "twinkies." I love twinkies. I'm a team player. I love the marriage uniform. It can be done many cool ways - ask Mr/Mrs Forrest. However, Roamer will dress for church on Sundays and I must SNEAK a peek at what she has hanging up in order to dress in a complimentary fashion.Today, Roamer chose to step to the other side of the elevator on the work/campus so my Cadmium Yellow shirt would not mark her as my twinkie. I must compose a poem:

Your heart cannot be won by me
Nor can my wardrobe bear this rejection
Need is a burden which cannot be revealed
Therefore I will remain silent in my yellow shirt
whenever you are before me in yours
My eyes fill with tears that are unable to flow
like a Cadmium ocean that stands still
at the sight of my lost twinkie passing by

10 Comments:

Blogger shakedust said...

That poem is hilarious. I love the phrase "Cadmium ocean."

On a different note, Mrs Dust picks my clothes every day, so we haven't had any twinkie occurances of our own.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Jadee said...

Just think...this type of twinkies is CARB-FREE! =D

4:47 PM  
Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Funny, funny, funny!
I do the same thing too!
If Mrs. is wearing navy then I don't want to wear black.

7:12 PM  
Blogger GoldenSunrise said...

For some reason yellow "peeps" chicks came to mind.

Mr. Sunrise likes wearing t-shirts and jeans. If I lay out casual clothes for him to wear, I try to also wear casual clothes. If I notice that our outfit colors clash, I will change what one of us is wearing.

10:16 PM  
Blogger roamingwriter said...

Dar likes the twinkie occurance and causes it. Very rarely is it inadvertent. Matching casual to casual is okay, I'm not so keen on the exact matchy-matchy look. Thus I'm not the team player that he is. I prefer stealth teaming. I do enjoy his poetry though.

2:44 AM  
Blogger T said...

while the poem is great, I'm with roamin' on this one. and Mr.T is totally with dar. After reading all the comments, I have a question. Is this a matter of territory? Should we be flattered that you feel the need to make publically known you're on our team? -yes,that's two questions.-If that's the motivation, than maybe I should ease up on Mr. T and let him get by with this more often. What do you think roamin? Okay 3, but who's counting...dust, dar, dash.? 4.

6:11 AM  
Blogger roamingwriter said...

Well, T...Flattery is nice at times. But doesn't the ring commit me to the team more than my shirt? To my credit, I did let it go yesterday, but it was a little too loud for my taste. Maybe we could just offer to wear complimentary colors rather than matching ones?

6:23 AM  
Blogger Jadee said...

Hey T! Think you could get Mr. T to wear a matching poncho? Remember he said you were supposed to buy him one...he didn't specify what it had to look like!! I say green/white is a good "match". =D

3:55 PM  
Blogger windarkwingod said...

I have 16 possible outifts that compliment Roamer's. Roamer is very territorial about her wardrobe - even though I sleep two feet from her closet.

3:56 PM  
Blogger f o r r e s t said...

I don't think it has anything to do with territory or claiming what's yours. I think there is a bit of gender reversal with this group of guys compared to normal guys. We are cultured enjoying books, art, film, music and yes even poetry. Thank you Dar. I think we also like to look good and if the person we are with is going to bring us down with a clashing of colors, we are sensitive to the balance of taste and will change out of our bold colors to match her subtle colors. Or maybe, some of us are just loopy and others are colorblind.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home