My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Hueros, Spain

"Ye have been bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men."--I COR. vii. 23.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

una sombrilla amarilla



Yesterday it was cool in the shadows and the sky was blue. A warm wind was blowing as Roamer and I sat down to drink a lemon-ice and a coffee. We needed it after our long walk to the post office with our packages. The bill at the post office was $70. The bill for the drinks would be... the sun flashed in my eyes again as the warm wind blew the awning a bit. I had troubling seeing the bill. As I tried to focus, a strong gust of wind took the chair in front of us and pushed it across the large plaza about 15 feet before tipping it on its back to glide another 15 feet to the surprise of many people watching. A small girl riding her bike stopped and picked the chair up and brought it back to the table. Later that night I looked at the rusty-brown substance that had stained the large yellow umbrella that sheltered the outdoor table. I couldn't scrape the stains off. They came from a balconey way up on the top floor. I could see the source, but could not identify it. The rusty-brown splotches were scattered all over the patio. They weren't coming off as I scraped them with my thumbnail. I determined to scrub them off the next day with a wire brush and some solvent. I went back inside. Suddenly I heard another cutting wind gust... People resting in the grassy area just outside the patio exclaimed loudly as we all turned and watched the wind literally pull the umbrella out of the hole in the table. It rose like a balloon and floated over the patio fence and the hedge to land just feet away from the circle of vacationers. A man picked it up and brought it to me. I said gracias and put it back in the hole. The sky was still blue but the shadows were long gone.

3 Comments:

Blogger f o r r e s t said...

I walked outside during lunch today. It was raining a bit. I had my umbrella in my hand, but did not open it.

8:37 PM  
Blogger shakedust said...

Did the yellow umbrella match your shirt by any chance?

2:44 AM  
Blogger windarkwingod said...

Yes - a bit - It was Cadmium Yellow - Quite a hit...

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home