My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Hueros, Spain

"Ye have been bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men."--I COR. vii. 23.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Been Away Now I'm Back

Hey Guys, I got an urgent phonecall about our container and had to high-tail it to Madrid because they were delivering it there. Before we could leave, I had to change the battery in a hail storm on the Speed-The-Light Van we were taking. One of the bolts droppped down into a grate and was washed away by the water, so I had to get a new one of those. Left Thursday night for the 5 hour drive up and over mountains and desert from Tarragona to MAdrid. Last half of drive was in the dark. I put cruise control on 120K as speeding tickets via camera are muy popular. Didn't matter to other drivers. I was always the slowest. Next morning raced out to storage area that was an old chicken farm. Tried to talk to the little lady in the farm house that lives there. She kept throwing up her hands and shaking her head. We finally saw the container that was loaded in K.C. It was way down at the other end of the old chicken processing plant. It drove under an electric power line that hung too low, but the power line bounced across the top after nearling being pulled out of the transformer. We had been expecting just to sign a paper in person in MAdrid that would free-up the container. But it came anyway thank the Lord. A/G hands unloaded it like it was greased and someone tilted it up. All of our stuff is in a tile corner on wooden palets in the old chicken plant with some other missionary stuff from other people. Only one coffee table leg was damaged. Everything else seems to be okay, including a mysterious black garbage bag that I did not know was in the container... We didn't have time to open it, as the driver was charging us by the hour. Today we took what boxes we needed and drove back. It was about 1200 kilometers in the end. I've been home for about an hour. I'm tired, but it feels like quite an accomplishment. This is something I could not have done on my own. Got back and it looked like someone was murdered on the patio. Big fat rusty drops congealed all over. I think it might be Teriyaki Sauce that was spilled from a couple balconies above. Anyway - it won't come off because it baked all weekend. But who cares. It's just the Southern Europe Area Director's patio, and once-yellow umbrella over the plastic table.... More later.

7 Comments:

Blogger shakedust said...

Wow, what a story. I am glad to hear that almost overything survived the obviously crazy trip.

When do you get to unload the container?

2:45 AM  
Blogger windarkwingod said...

Actually unloaded it when it arrived, and the driver closed the door and took it away. The container had oil/tar all across the outside bottom half. Maybe from railcars - who knows. THANK YOU for your help in loading it up. All the missionary packages were safe and MUCH appreciated! Including the two new jib-mounts for the cameras. Will be used Heavily. Also, some personal items of one poor elderly missionary were destroyed when a small fire consumed her family photos in the container - it seems that a pink synthetic materal (perhaps from a children's toy?) bursted into tiny pink flames with ears.

10:01 AM  
Blogger shakedust said...

I can't tell you how relieved I was to hear that most of your stuff was safe. I was so concerned about what you would see when you opened that container. I was sure I must have screwed something up when I was moving things around in there.

I am sorry for that elderly missionary. I can't imagine loosing something so important simply due to a toy.

3:41 PM  
Blogger T said...

glad you guys got your stuff unloaded. Sounds like an adventure! I thought moving dash's dad a couple miles was bad! We did have to drive the (Now only a little over 2 hours) trip to Springfield to do it!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Jadee said...

Sounds like you had more of an adventure than I did! Glad it seems things have worked out for you. I remember having a phantom trashbag show up in my moving truck one time too...yuk! LOL!

8:32 PM  
Blogger f o r r e s t said...

What fun!

11:33 PM  
Blogger GoldenSunrise said...

I heard about the mysterious trashbag also, compliments of L.L. I believe?

Glad everything stayed intact besides the coffee table leg. It probably wasn't wearing one of your socks was it? : )

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home