My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Hueros, Spain

"Ye have been bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men."--I COR. vii. 23.

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Golfball Size Hail : )

I am a storm addict. I've been watching the weather reports on three channels for a week now anticipating the next bout of severe weather. When the alerts start rolling across the bottom of the TV, I go collect my goodies: flashlight, radio, bicycle helmet, and granola bars. And when that little technicolor gem of a doppler radar-screen shows up in the corner of the TV, all lights in the house are turned off, all doors are opened (with screen doors locked) for optimal viewing, and all televisions come on with channels synchronized and volume levels high. Sometimes I dash out to the front porch to listen to the other weather freaks on the radio call in what they've seen along the highways, or get on the phone with my Dad and brother over in Fort Wyandotte. I've never actually gone storm chasing. No, I like the excitement of having the fireworks display descend upon the backyard (mi casa), watching the terrifying furies of nature roll low over the rooftop, seeking a spot in the neighborhood to target (Dirt & Dash are up the street! What about Forrest and Family down the block?) I will admit that I don't maintain a level of ecstatic joy throughout the ordeal, such as when the power goes off and the sump-pump can't keep up with the water volume, and my basement threatens to flood for the 4th or 5th time (who is counting?) Or when the magic hail-balls catch one of my vehicles in the open. Yes, there is a certain feeling of genuine dismay at the threat of property damage. I have layed awake in bed, almost positive that the next lightning strike was going to blast the bedroom apart, and leave us scurrying in our nighties for a fox-hole crater in the yard. Looking back, I don't know when my infatuation started. I was scared of storms as a kid, but as I grew older, storms became a distraction. The black clouds rolling in with all of the city-wide efforts to "batten-down the hatches" became a vast elixer for coping with the mundane. Did I mention that we might get hit this afternoon!?! Can't wait! (Extra added bonus: Neece doesn't like storms... she plays all "stoic" but she likes a bit of squeezin' when the warning sirens come on over in Olathe...)

4 Comments:

Blogger Dash said...

Hey Mr. Weather-man, tally me the forecast ....

Any news on what Witchita will tomorrow and saturday? I only ask because myself and the 2 little fundies will be camping there.

7:14 PM  
Blogger windarkwingod said...

Golf Ball Size Hail!!!! YYEEEEEEHHAAAWWWWWW!!!

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watching the radar from WI. Looks like the ol' Tonganoxie split at work again. But wouldn't want to live in Platte City.

12:55 AM  
Blogger f o r r e s t said...

Doc, is that you from WI.
We need to here more from you.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home