My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Hueros, Spain

"Ye have been bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men."--I COR. vii. 23.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

mahogany mistress

On chilly days I miss my pipes. I had a box of old pipes of varying colors, a rich red dapper looking pipe from England with a fine medium size bowl and straight, short black stem, and a deeped-bowled Italian pipe with wood so blonde it was almost orange (in fact, the longish stem was a golden/orange color.) I had a couple of others, but my favorite was a burly, knarled, stub of a monster, with a thick, fat, irregular bowl that was black and burled and rough on the outside. It fit my left hand in a natural way. There was something reassuring and settling about it. I would sit outside and smoke a savory Danish blend. Sometimes I would try a golden, mellow Virginia leaf that tasted sweet like molasses and woodsmoke. Then there were the Turkish blends that had a hint of spice and smoked fruit. What I miss most was lighting my own private campfire in the pipe and tamping it down a bit until an orange ember burned quietly at the center. Usually it was in the evening, when the light was dimming, and my thoughts could curl into the twilight with the smoke. Some evenings I could make a pipe last an hour or more, gently breathing the aromatic smoke but never drawing it into my lungs. The pipe. I stopped smoking the pipe because it's no fun to smoke when its hot outside, and my wife was becoming alarmed (bless her.) I may take it up again some day when I'm a little older. But be warned - a pipe involves tobacco, and when you quit, it takes about three months before you stop licking your lips lustfully at every cigarette butt in the parking lot of HyVee. (seductive demon weed)

4 Comments:

Blogger shakedust said...

My first thought when looking at the title was your earlier story about raw ebony in Morrowind.

Also, well written. I'll never look at a pipe (or cigarette butt) the same way.

5:12 AM  
Blogger f o r r e s t said...

I want a pipe now!
Maybe, we can have a smoke before you leave or maybe we should smoke your leaves or maybe I'll smoke some pork butt or brisket.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Dash said...

hmmmm .. three months of withdrawl would almost be worth it. I especially like the idea of my own private campfire.

I wonder if I could get away with smoking a pipe at Royal Ranger campouts if I had a period costume based on a Virgina tobacco farmer.

It's either that or I join one of those freaky Old Toby societies and make up a bunch of Numenorean sounding names for my ancestry.

- Tar-Al Fundi loves his westweed

4:07 PM  
Blogger windarkwingod said...

Smokin the pork butt! Okay, I know this is weird, but the idea of mixing a little bit of pork fat with some ground sage and berries along with tobacco sounds enticing. I think the native americans use to do that with their pipes (sioux?) OR was that Pemmican? Anyway, I had to distract myself in a major way after writing about the pipe. As for Raw Ebony... I'm a subscriber to the website and regularly get updates from La Fonda....

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home